I had made my way to Labor and Delivery on Wednesday morning after a night of contracting regularly. I was put on lots of monitors and was told that they were going to try and stop the contractions and hopefully I would be going home within the next several hours. I was only dilated 1 cm, 50% effaced. Not much to worry about. I was then given multiple drugs throughout the day to slow down contractions. The medications worked for the first 10 minutes every time, but labor continued and I was contracting every 2-5 minutes. Very early in the day, they decided to give me the first dose of steroids to mature the babies lungs. Our goal then was to get to Friday so that the second dose could be given and taken effect.
The day and night went on and I was beginning to become very uncomfortable. The contractions increased and the pain became somewhat unbearable, with lots of back labor. I was given the second dose of steroids Thursday morning, continuing with meds to get my contractions under control. The pain just seemed to increase and by the looks of things, I was in TRUE LABOR. My doctor came in after noon to evaluate the situation. He checked my cervix, 3 cm dilated. He just gave me a look and all he said was that he was going to speak to his team and have an answer to what he wanted to do within the next few hours. A few hours to doctors is almost an eternity!! I wanted to know now!
So, my support team left me in the meantime. My mom went all the way home to help with the boys, my IP's left to grab a bite to eat and run an errand... but thank goodness my husband stayed!! Within an hour after my doctor had left, he had returned with his entire team and gave us their opinion. They explained that I was in true labor and there was nothing able to stop it. The choice was to either deliver today, without the second dose of steroid taking place, or wait it out until the following day, taking the risk of an emergency c-section that night if I dilated too much. The entire team was for delivering that day; an emergency c-section is extremely risky and very dangerous to me and the babies. I had to trust them and decided to go for it. Then, I heard it... "We are taking you back to begin within the hour!!!" OMG.... where is everyone????
Thank goodness everyone made it in the nick of time. My mom literally ran in the door just about when they were taking me back. My IP's were so overwhelmed. I cannot explain their excitement, worry, and anxiety they showed all in matter of minutes. I was freaking out... I hate surgery. I left a room full of family and friends and I could not handle it. It all was happening so fast and I was so scared.
They brought me back to a huge cold room and began prepping me. There were so many people in the room, but they all did their best to support me and calm my nerves. It seemed like forever until they brought my husband back. The moment he walked in I knew I was going to be alright. Surprisingly, the team allowed one of the parents back with my husband, a very last minute decision and I was so happy that one of them got to be there. Well, you know what happens next... the delivery!!!
The girls arrived on Thursday, September 2, 2010... yes, 90210!!
I was only 1 day shy of 32 weeks, but we made it pretty far.
Baby A... EVE... 4 lbs 8 oz
Baby B... MAY... 3lbs 12 oz
Baby C... LILY... 4lbs 8oz
I cannot describe how I felt when each baby was brought out and I got to see them, one by one. I was overwhelmed with emotions. I was feeling so many different things and I could not believe that I brought 3 adorable babies into the world for another family. Immediately, I knew THIS WAS ALL WORTH IT!! Yes, I said it =) After 32 weeks of the most difficult challenges of my life, it was all over and I can say that I am beyond proud of it all. No matter how much pain and suffering I did, I am so glad I decided to do this. It made me a much better person and my outlook on life has completely changed.
The nurses and doctors could not believe how great the babies came out. Not only were their sizes way above average, but their health was fabulous!! The NICU doctor actually discovered that the identical babies began having Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome, and that is why there was a size difference between them. Who knows what would have happened if the pregnancy continued and this went on. We delivered at the right time.
The girls are in the NICU and expected to be there at least a couple weeks. As many of you know, NICU babies have their ups and downs within the first several days, so we are just hoping and praying to get through the next few days with no major problems.
Baby Eve is a little jaundice and needs special lighting. She has a small infection and needs a little help breathing, but other than that she is doing great. She is the feisty one and hates to be disturbed.
Baby May is the smallest, but is a little fighter. Her breathing is improving more everyday. She is starting to drink up my breast milk! She is the calmest of the 3 and always seems so relaxed.
Lily has been the most stable and is the biggest eater so far, drinking up lots of my breast milk!! She is usually content unless she is disturbed by a loud noise... she hates when things aren't quiet.
Although all the tubes and wires look scary, they are doing incredibly well and I think that within the next week things will be looking even better. I believe they will be coming home sooner than later. I am so fortunate to have wonderful IP's who update me daily on their health and are more than welcoming to me going to see the babies any time I would like. I plan to make a visit later this week!!
As for me, I am slowly recovering. During surgery I lost over 2600 ml of blood, average is 1000. I had to have a total of 4 blood transfusions. It was really rough the first couple of days and I am gradually regaining my strength back. I am so glad to be home with my family... and pumping away!! And guess what... Jack's first day of preschool is tomorrow and I am not going to miss it!!!!