Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dairy Fairy!!

Yes, I am still pumping!!

The girls are 3 1/2 months old now and still enjoying every drop I can supply.  I never thought I could continue this long, but I guess I have just become accustomed to it.  Not every surrogate donates their milk to their IP's and I think more often then not, the intended parents are not interested.  I think it is a very interesting subject.  Some people look at breast milk as the ultimate nourishment that is necessary for their baby/babies no matter where it comes from.  And then there are other people who find it absolutely appalling to give their newborn another woman's breast milk.  I'm not sure how I would feel if I was in this predicament.  Yes, the nutrients you get in breast milk is so important for growth and development, but, at the same time, I think I would feel an extreme sense of jealousy.  It would be a very hard reality to face and I think that is why many couples refuse the donation. But, that just makes those couples that do appreciate the milk that much stronger and at peace with their infertility or inability to naturally conceive.

People keep telling me how amazing I am for my dedication.  Don't get me wrong; sometimes it isn't so easy.  I try my best not to let this "job" of mine get in the way of my day.  I am able to find time to pump 3-4 times a day, but it is definitely a hassle when I am away from home for long periods of time.  Most of the time I can handle those days where I am away from home up to 5 hours or so.  I try to ignore that painful "letdown" women get when it is time!!  What does this "letdown" feel like?  Well, to put it as best I can- imagine a million needles stabbing your boobs all at once while your nipples freeze up making any sort of movement feel like they are going to rip off.  Painful?  Yes, but it doesn't last too long.  And then there are the noises that makes it all worse... from babies crying to dogs barking, any loud sudden noises just kills me!!!  I can't believe how mother nature works.  Boobies have a mind of their own and prepare for nursing all on their own.

But, when nature calls and I have no choice but to pump, I do the best I can.  I was in shock when I found that Disneyland had a pumping room for women!!!  My husband and I took the boys last week and I really wanted to stay longer than we usually do.  Our trips to places are usually cut short because of me needing to empty myself, so I didn't want this to be the case this time around.  I brought a manual pump and planned to sit somewhere, or anywhere, with a little bit of privacy.  Much to my surprise, inside of the Mother's Room, there is not only a nursing room but a pumping area as well!!  What will they think of next??  I'm glad the fortune I spend each time I go is being put to something that is useful to me!!

There isn't much privacy in my house anymore, now that my tatas are out all day long!!  In the beginning, I was really worried what my boys would think.  Jackson was too young to remember when I nursed Max and neither of them have seen a woman breast feed a baby.  As funny as it sounds, they were fascinated!!  They did have this look like, "What in the world are you doing??", but I explained it to them as best as I could.  Now, they have become just as accustomed to it as I have and they really don't notice it much more.  However, they have yet to catch on that this is personal business!!  Jackson loves to just randomly bring up to perfect strangers that I have milk in my boobs!!  It can be quite embarrassing to say the least =)

So, is my breast milk making an impact?  Well, see for yourself!!  These girls are growing so fast and are becoming quite the chunky monkeys.  I am officially convinced that I have an abnormal percentage of fat in my breast milk.  The girls are growing at the same rate as my boys did when they were breast fed.  My stuff is potent!!

 Lily, May, and Eve


How much longer am I going to pump for?  Well, my goal in the beginning was to give them milk until they were 6 months old.  I am pretty sure I will reach that goal.  There is a possibility I may go longer, but there are no guarantees.  As for my IP's, they will take it for as long as I will give.

I will have another big update soon... I get to visit the girls again on Sunday and I have something really special for them!!!

4 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you're breastfeeding. I breastfed both times in the hospital but both times my IPs decided to go formula. Actually, now because of digestive issues, they are buying breast milk. I did tell them that I could start pumping and my milk would come back, but I think it's easier to pick it up in the same city versus shipping, etc.

    You're doing great! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTG! You are doing an amazing job. I can't believe you are able to pump enough milk for 3 babies!!! I am SO jealous. I wish breastfeeding had been that easy for me. When I was pumping I was lucky to get an ounce each time. And that was after soley breastfeeding for a month. Took 4 days for my milk to come in :( I would love to be able to provide breastmilk for my IPs if they asked for it. I just don't think it's possible for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful of you! I too pumped for 3 months for each of my surro's - and since they were only singletons - had enough milk to last about 6 months each. My 'letdown' noise was the water faucet. Got me every time!! I tried not to inconvenience my family by pumping so I did it every 4-5 hours and my body adjusted just fine to producing what I needed.
    I think 6 months is a wonderful goal - good for you!!!
    Nursing my surros was something I wasn't sure I could do, but once I was there emotionally I knew I could handle it and I am sooo glad I got that bonding/goodbye time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man. You're awesome. That's all I have to say :)

    ReplyDelete